Re: UBL Naming Conventions & RDF

On 07/07/2005 22:09, John McClure wrote:

> So, my task has been to "take apart" the RDF's predicate construct,
> distinguishing between predicate verbs and predicate nouns. A predicate
> verb is simply <has> while a predicate noun is (or could be) <Parent>.
> So rather than <Person><hasParent rdf:resource='uri'/></Person>, I am
> suggesting that the pattern <Person><has><Parent
> rdf:about='uri'/></has></Person> be used instead. Many advantages are
> apparent from this approach, while there appears to be few or
> no disadvantages.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to use nouns as predicates. In fact at
[1] I proposed renaming some existing terms from the relationship schema [2]

In your example above, you might write:

<Person> <parent> <Person rdf about='uri'/> </parent> </Person>

to be read as Person has parent 'Person with uri'

However this naming isn't always possible, at least not without entering
convulutions of syntax. For example how would foaf:knows be rewritten?

Cheers,

Ian

[1] http://rdfweb.org/pipermail/rdfweb-dev/2004-March/012836.html
[2] http://vocab.org/relationship/