Re: Combined Inverse Functional Properties

From: Yuzhong Qu <yzqu@seu.edu.cn>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:18:53 +0800
To: "Rogier Brussee" <rogier.brussee@gmail.com>
Cc: "SWIG" <semantic-web@w3.org>, "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>, "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net>, <jos.deroo@agfa.com>
> > It seems to me that:
> >
> > what CIFP means is very close to that intersectionOf(r1, r2, ..., rn) is a reverse functional property.
> >
> [snip]
> Except that it is not so clear what the domain (i.e. "outcome")  of :cifp is.

 [snip]

> It seems to me that the "combined inversefunctional property" is not a
> primitive notion. It seems more natural and general to have a notion
> of productProperty (or combined property) which can in particular  be
> inverse functional. Thus I would replace  the last sentence by :
>
> :p :productProperty (:r1:r2).
> :p a owl:InverseFunctionalProperty.
>
> :productProperty should model a list of simulaneous properties, and it
> seems easiest if it takes values in a list. To be of any use as an
> inverse functional property we have to assume that two lists are
> owl:sameAs if their entries are owl:sameAs and have the same order,
> just as Yuzhong Qu seems to suggest.

However, intersectionOf(r1, r2, ..., rn) is a relation on the domain, while productPropertyOf(r1, r2, ..., rn) is a relation on the product of (Domain, ..., Domain) [Note that it leads to the ordered list issue].

And some DLs do support the role constructor "intersectionOf".

 [snip]

Of couese, your scheme is also sound, at least seems to me.

Yuzhong Qu