Re: Developers Guide to Semantic Web Toolkits for different Programming Languages

From: Ora Lassila <ora.lassila@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: Developers Guide to Semantic Web Toolkits for different Programming Languages
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:51:15 -0500

> Chris,

[...]

> First, "Lisp" is not an actual programming language per se. You should say
> "Common Lisp" (this is the ANSI X3J13 Standard). There are other dialects,
> such as "Scheme", but I haven't seen any RDF software for those.

Come again?  I would say that Lisp is just as much an actual programming
language as C++ or Java.  Yes, there are different dialects of Lisp but so
are there (or were there) different dialects of Java, just ask Sun and
Microsoft.  Many other programming languages have distinct dialects;  I
would guess that there are significant dialects of almost every widely used
programming languages.

[...]

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research

PS:  Yes, yes, I know that the Java disagreement has been sort of resolved.