Re: Is there an RSS feed for this list ?

* Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> [2005-02-06 00:28+0100]
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:08:28 -0500, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org> wrote:
> > * Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> [2005-02-05 20:49+0100]
> > >
> > > There's:
> > >
> > > http://www.w3.org/2002/09/Lists2RSS?ml=semantic-web
> > >
> > > (same pattern for all the public lists, btw)
> > >
> > > but doesn't contain post contents. Perhaps hints need a-dropping?
> >
> > I believe this is implimented in XSLT. Many of the posts in
> > the archive are pretty lengthy, contain nested quoting etc.
>
> Rigght, good point.
>
> > And some have attachments linked from the main post.
>
> You mean "<enclosure>"s ;-)
>
> A link to the archive resource p'raps?
>
> I'm not sure
> > the raw contents would be a great thing to include within the RSS
> > feed. And there could be server-load considerations too, thinking
> > about it.
>
> gzip & conditional GET supported..?

I think all this would be a big job. Also there is some
tension between a message-centric feed and a thread-centric feed.
Currently each item is a thread, and the text for the item gets updated
as the thread grows. But only new posts on new topics create new items
that show up to newsreaders.

> But yes, ultimately I would love to see better message
> > summaries integrated into a lists.w3.org RSS service. I think
> > it'd involve someone doing some coding though... Perhaps a
> > rough algorithm to begin with might be: excerpt the first 10
> > lines that don't begin with a '>' character?
>
> Erk, I vaguely remember regexp-like things being a bit clunky in XSLT
> (1.0 at least). But stripping the > quoted lines does sound a very
> good plan.
>
> > ps. I just asked my colleagues about possibility of adding
> > RSS autodiscovery <link/> tags.
>
> Great stuff.

OK I think that'll happen. In the meantime, with Max Froumentin's
XPath help, I've updated the XSLT slightly. It now provides <link>
inside the <channel>, which Sage needed before it'd consume the
feeds. Also we fixed the code that extracts a basic description
from the first listowner supplied <p> in the list overview page.
I'm not sure to expect much more on this front in the near future,
but I do think we need to be thinking more about how to interface
lists.w3.org discussions with the more conversations going on in the
weblog-powered world. Thanks again btw to Dom for making the RSS
service. As a stopgap w.r.t. feed discovery, I have added a number of
SWIG-related RSS feeds to http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/interest/ using
the head/link discovery notation. Hope those might be useful...

cheers,

Dan