Re: How will the semantic web emerge

Asankhaya Sharma wrote:
> HI,
>
> I am sorry but i dont understand the irony of "good"
> and "dead"..
> can you throw some light on it...

There is an old pejorative phrase from Western Movies: "The only good
Indian is a dead Indian."

One problem with ontologies is that they foster hierarchical attitudes
towards how things get classified. To many of us, they ALWAYS have
"cracks" in them through which fall the "tags" we find more suitable as
index/annotation bases.

The original to which I used the phrase had the implication that there
were "proper" or "authorized" ontologies that should have some
preferential priority instead of some method of tagging that was more
"folksonomic".

I have a history of questioning authority, particularly when it comes to
what might become de facto standards for categorizing knowledge. The
terms included in ontologies are often "maps without territory" and tend
to impose their existence on the organization of knowledge bases.

Love.