Re: How will the semantic web emerge

From: Xavier Noria <fxn@hashref.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:13:02 +0100
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

On Dec 14, 2005, at 15:51, Henry Story wrote:

> It won't emerge by speaking about it.
> It won't emerge first by adding annotations or any distributed
> metadata scheme as that requires a lot of people to agree on many
> things first.
> The best way to start it, is to open up a database of valuable data
> to a SPARQL end point with a good ontology.

Absolutely. I am somewhat new to SW, but looks like there are enough
standards to start somehow with the plumbing.

Taking this pragmatic approach which I share: are you thinking on
publishing ontologies (that is schema + instances) as such for others
to use? Or are you thinking in RDF-but-private backends accessible
with some kind of front-end? In my view the former seems sctrictly
closer to the semantic web itself but needs third-party applications
to leverage the data, the latter uses semantic web related
technologies but if everything is server-side depending on the data a
relational database may be enough, that is, the technology itself may
not be differential, or in any case being server-side might be not be
considered proper semantic web.

-- fxn