Re: Tag ontology RFC

Yes, I'd considered that possibility --- having a (possibly shared) tag
applied in a reification is more or less the same as each person having
their own tag and using a direct triple*. There are a few minor
differences (I can deliberately apply someone else's tag; open world
assumption and all that -- more in the footnote), but the main one is
the "whose tagging is this?", which is dealt with by the namespace.

I thought it safest to split them apart --- it stops me accidentally
saying

chimp:bubbles tags:tag danny:monkey .

and asserting that you know something about Bubbles, when I really mean
that I associate Bubbles with a monkey tag.

It's still possible, of course, to use personal tags with the reified
approach -- it just uses a few more triples than the non-reified way :D

I quite agree with your last paragraph. You sum up quite well the
crisis that led to me leaving in the simplistic <tags:taggedWithTag>,
which is the "straight tag" approach, but I'm quite conscious of
doubling the effort of tool producers. Thus, I am torn. :)

Rules will sort it all out.

?x tags:tag ?y
?y tags:associatedTag ?z
?y tags:taggedBy rich:RichardNewman
=>
?x tags:taggedWithTag rich:(uri_tail ?z)

Thanks Danny,
-R

* If (a) there is a direct mapping between rich:chimp and danny:chimp
(probably based on literals),
      (b) "rich" can't tag things with danny:chimp (without being aware
of the consequences), and
      (c) we use other measures to associate e.g. dates with the tag,
then they are perfectly isomorphic.