Re: The translation of 漢字 (Was: English editing)

On 31/03/2015 13:38, Yijun Chen wrote:
>> Yes, i'm glad you brought this up, since i wondered about that too. I
>> left the translation as Hanzi for now, but that's really not a
>> translation, it's more of a transliteration of the Chinese (and should
>> probably have a lowercase H). I would prefer to change it.
>
> The reason I used Hanzi was because the term ‘Kanji’ shows up several
> times in JLReq. There are a lot of Japanese transliterations in the
> document as well, such as hanmen (版面), etc.

Yes, but kanji *is* the english translation for the japanese term and is
used widely in english.  Hanzi is not widely used in english. It's a
translation oddity ;-)

And i think there was no real equivalent in english for hanmen.

This is not to say that the Japanese doc is perfect. Probably far from
it.  But i think we can account for those terms as I describe.

>> The standard uses Han character and Han ideographic character most of
>> the time.
>>
>> I'm inclined to use 'Han character'.  There may be instances where
>> what is meant is full-width character, if punctuation are to be
>> included. I haven't checked for those instances yet.
>
> I would prefer Han character now. Usually, when we say 漢字 orally or
> literally, it does not include punctuation, only the characters themselves.

Ok. So who else do we need to check this with before replacing 'hanzi'
with 'han character' throughout?

ri