Re: F+O spec : function finder

On Sat, 2016-12-03 at 21:18 +0000, Michael Kay wrote:

> [...]

> Interesting. I guess that means that if W3C decides not to produce an
> XQuery 4, and some new WhyWG starts up to do the job itself, then it
> has to get W3C agreement first?

I don't know the answer to that one specifically I'm afraid. However,
W3C permission wouldn't be enough to secure the patent protection.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to get Members to agree to release their
patents except under very specific terms (and we lost a few members as
it was, companies apparently unwilling to let other firms implement W3C
specs without paying them royalties).

One mechanism we now have in place is W3C community groups, though, so
an XQuery 4 could be "incubated" in a community group without problems.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)