RE: ACTION 614-12: Smart Quotes

On 2015-09-10 15:04, Robie, Jonathan wrote:

> I prefer that our start delimiter and end delimiter not contain $,
> which will be used in every variable reference in the XQuery
> expressions.

For what it's worth I think I started out with @ instead. Part of my
goal was to have something that was not likely in any of XQuery :), CSS,
JavaScript, JSON.

> I also prefer that the start and end delimiter be
> different so it's obvious which is which,
and so you can nest them

> and I don't really see why
> we need two different kinds of smart quotes.

We don't really; the non-interpolating one is less useful. I proposed
both originally because I know both are useful, but if the inner syntax
is less likely to happen by mistake then I don't think both types of
quoting are needed.

I'd be happier if we did not have prolog options to change syntax of
queries. Yes, it'd be nicer to be able to change the delimiters, but
it's not worth putting the feature at risk :)

If users can change the delimiters it needs to be right at the place
where they are used, so that you can copy/paste query fragments
reliably. And since that causes problems for parser generator-based
implementations it seems (it's actually possible with lex/yacc for what
it's worth, but a pain) it's better to drop that part of the proposal.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C
XML Activity Lead;