Re: Making editors' drafts public

On 2015-10-07 06:20, Adam Retter wrote:
> On 7 October 2015 at 09:01, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
>> While we’re about it, is there anything we can do to reduce the
>> problem of CVS conflicts on the generated HTML?

Do you run a cvs update in (or on) the output directory before building?
that ought to prevent that problem I think.

>> Perhaps the build scripts should do an automatic CVS update on the
>> html directory at the start?
I think that's a reasonable idea. Who is maintaining them now it's not
Jim?

>> Normally I would say that automatically-generated files shouldn’t be
>> held under a version control system. But then we need a different way
>> of uploading them. Perhaps this is our opportunity.
>>

> Exactly. Presumably the generate HTML files could just be published to
> the web server, rather than committing them to CVS also?

All the files on the main w3.org server are in CVS currently; that's the
mechanism for putting them on the Web.

We could use public hg or cvs on dev.w3.org, or yes github. I'm trying
to minimize changes, mostly because we're at a late stage and any
disruption for the editors would have make a huge improvement to be
worth it.

> *if* we were to use GitHub, we could automate the build and publish
> process by throwing Travis into the mix, this would allow our build
> scripts to run on every commit and on success have the artifacts (e.g.
> the latest HTML draft spec) published to the web.

I'd rather avoid github for now if possible...
(1) new processes and procedures
(2) possibility of pull requests and issues via github for editors
(3) w3c seems mostly set up for respec-based HTML on github, using
github-pages. That would be a major and I think unwelcome change.

If the editors we have are mostly or all familiar with github and Ok
with it, (1) isn't an issue really.

In the meantime I might look at setting up something to run via a
nightly cron job to copy files.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C