Re: XSD Interoperability Grade

From: Mark R Maxey <Mark_R_Maxey@raytheon.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 16:35:33 -0500
To: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Cc: public-xsd-databinding@w3.org
Thank you for your responses.

I've used the data bindings detector you referenced.   Unfortunately, this
doesn't help me identify "dangerous" patterns because of the course
granularity and category definitions as stated below.  For the detector to
help flag patterns with questionable support, I'd need more information
back in the generated report that could help me identify and quantify the

Thanks again,

Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Mark R Maxey <Mark_R_Maxey@raytheon.com>
06/01/2010 03:46 PM

On Thu, 27 May 2010, Mark R Maxey wrote:

> Thank you for your work.  You've done a great job at identifying and
> categorizing schema patterns.  I'm having problems understanding the
> categories, though.
> Each pattern falls into a binary "basic" or "advance" category.  The
> "advance" category includes both widely used patterns, patterns that no
> one supports (e.g., AnyURIEnumerationType01 [advanced]), and patterns
> everyone supports (e.g., DecimalElement01 [advanced]).  Some patterns
> identical support across vendors fall into different categories, e.g.,
> AttributeOptional01 [basic] & AttributeFixed01 [advanced].

The tradeoff was to have in Basic all the needed patterns that were
reasonably implemented, and the core patterns used to define the
'advanced' ones (that are more experimental in their support or in their
reliance on other patterns)

> I would like to use your work to evaluate and refactor WSDLs & XSDs to
> maximize interoperability.  Given the current output, though, I don't
> think I could use it for that purpose.  What would be ideal for me is to
> be able to run a XSLT that would provide me feedback on which tools
> support a WSDL or XSD and a grade for each pattern found describing its
> interoperability.

We have an XSLT to identify patterns, see

> Have you considered anything like this?  Are there any plans to refresh
> the results every year or two based on bug fixes to the various

Unfortunately the Working Group in charge of this work closed, so we
currently can't foresee any update to this work, but other reports based
on our work can be done independently, as all the code needed is