W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xsd-databinding@w3.org > October 2006

Minutes: XML Schema Patterns for Databinding Telcon 17 October 2006

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:42:00 +0100
Message-ID: <2A7793353757DB4392DF4DFBBC95225504BFEF8A@I2KM11-UKBR.domain1.systemhost.net>
To: <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>

Minutes from today's telcon are now available:


and pasted below for tracker's searching:

                                   - DRAFT -

                         Databinding WG Teleconference
                                  24 Oct 2006


   See also: IRC log


          Jon Calladine (BT)
          Paul Downey (BT)
          Otu Ekanem (BT)
          Yves Lafon (W3C)
          Vladislav Bezrukov (SAP AG)
          Hugo Haas (Yahoo!) (Observer)

          George Cowe (Origo Services Limited)




     * Topics
         1. Administrivia
         2. Status of Deliverables
         3. ISSUE-2: test suite
         4. ISSUE-12: identifying a conformant schema
         5. ISSUE-68: xs:import of Schema 1.0 namespace
         6. ISSUE-10: Mapping Element and Type names
     * Summary of Action Items

   <trackbot> Date: 24 October 2006

   <scribe> Scribe: pauld


   minutes from the 17th approved

   <Yves> http://www.w3.org/2006/10/17-databinding-minutes.html

   WG welcomes Hugo Haas from Yahoo! as an observer

   discussion of interop event

   yves: having people in a room would help socialisation and crafting of

   jonc: getting end users involved would be a challenge

   pauld: getting vendors to participate has been difficult
   ... organising around the W3C Workshop on Enterprise Services might

   hugo: an interop event sounds appealing, not too high cost from
   vendors and may help build test cases

   yves: also a mini-TP around then in Boston, could be co-located

   pauld: OK, let's consider an event early 2007 in Boston, we can always
   cancell if we get no interest

Status of Deliverables

   pauld: built some "traffic lights" to schema validate our instance
   documents, and if the detected patterns match the expected status:



   pauld: can we change the normative XPaths without the change being
   considered substantive?

   yves: we will at least have the text?

   pauld: we have very little text as the XPaths are normative

   yves: sounds like we would have to go back to Last Call

   pauld: will ensure the XPaths are correct, then!

   pauld: will call for a vote to go to Last Call for Basic on Tuesday

   pauld: can we publish a first WD of Advanced?

   vlad: sections 2.1 and 2.2 are missing

   pauld: OK, that looks editorial, I'll fix./

   pauld: hearing no objections, we'll plan to publish first WD of
   Advanced alongside LC of Basic

ISSUE-2: test suite

   pauld: worked on the test client, still Perl, still works on separate

   hugo: took a brief look, seems sensible approach

   otu: took a look at WCF, svcgen no longer generates a server
   databinding, only interfaces. Suggested we use Visual Studio 2005, but
   you want a scripted interface.

   otu: also started to look at Python ZSI, struggling with lack of

   pauld: WCF still generates a client databinding no?

   otu: we can turn this inside out

   yves: may get time to work on XMLUnit later this week

   pauld: will publish test suite page and ping WSO2 for assistance

ISSUE-12: identifying a conformant schema

   pauld: there's a stylesheet on the bottom of the patterns page, should
   work on Schemas and WSDLs (though not tried many WSDLs)

   pauld: we still need to follow schema import and include and detect
   UTF-8 etc

   yves: if we think the pattern detector we have works, but will still
   look at an alternative approach

   pauld: could still be useful, but let's make it lower priority than

   pauld: anticipate having to write some non-XSLT code to check some of
   our non-XPath based assertions

ISSUE-68: xs:import of Schema 1.0 namespace

   pauld: submitted evidence on why it's not Basic pattern, but is it

   vladislav: SAP implementations now support this

   pauld: so it sounds advanced, let's see if Priscilla comes up with any
   new info on why it might be a bad idea before closing it.

ISSUE-10: Mapping Element and Type names

   vladislav: we have had limitations mapping Unicode characters to
   language constructs
   ... also we have length limitations

   hugo: do you have a sense of a "safe" character set?

   <Yves> http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/issues/10/

   pauld: difficult - Fortran or COBOL might offer a lowest common
   denominator, but no obvious lowest subset exists, but we seem to be
   moving towards Python's subset
   ... plan to close this issue based on testing next week

   <scribe> ACTION: vladislav to report on naming convention supported by
   his toolkit [recorded in

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-87 - Report on naming convention supported
   by his toolkit [on Vladislav Bezrukov - due 2006-10-31].

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: vladislav to report on naming convention supported by
   his toolkit [recorded in

   [End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 24 October 2006 17:42:13 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 19:58:13 UTC