ISSUE-75: pattern for IEEE754r (floating point numbers)

From: Databinding Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:05:17 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-xsd-databinding@w3.org

ISSUE-75: pattern for IEEE754r (floating point numbers)

Raised by: Vladislav Bezrukov
On product: Advanced

A programming language supporting the IEEE 754r floating point spec [1]
needs to express this type in terms of XML Schema 1.0 [2].
This type is directly supported by the XML Schema 1.1 as
precisionDecimal [3].

However the databinding tools based on the XML Schema 1.0 lack the
corresponding schema pattern.

To consider the following Schema Pattern for the new floating point

        <xsd:simpleType name="precisionDecimal">
                                <xsd:restriction base="xsd:decimal">
                                        <xsd:totalDigits value="16"/>
                                <xsd:restriction base="xsd:double"/>
                                <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
                                        <xsd:enumeration value="NaN"/>
                                        <xsd:enumeration value="-INF"/>

We are aware that value space of the xsd:double is smaller than
xsd11:precisionDecimal. However we have found nothing better than it.
Any comments are very welcome.