NEW ISSUE: schema pattern for IEEE754r (floating point numbers)

From: Bezrukov, Vladislav <vladislav.bezrukov@sap.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:21:17 +0200
To: <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>
Cc: "Bezrukov, Vladislav" <vladislav.bezrukov@sap.com>

NEW ISSUE: schema pattern for IEEE754r (floating point numbers) [1]

I tend to consider it as an issue for the ADVANCED patterns.

A programming language supporting the IEEE 754r floating point spec [1]
needs to express this type in terms of XML Schema 1.0 [2].
This type is directly supported by the XML Schema 1.1 as
precisionDecimal [3].

However the databinding tools based on the XML Schema 1.0 lack the
corresponding schema pattern.

To consider the following Schema Pattern for the new floating point

	<xsd:simpleType name="precisionDecimal">
				<xsd:restriction base="xsd:decimal">
					<xsd:totalDigits value="16"/>
				<xsd:restriction base="xsd:double"/>
				<xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
					<xsd:enumeration value="NaN"/>
					<xsd:enumeration value="-INF"/>

We are aware that value space of the xsd:double is smaller than
xsd11:precisionDecimal. However we have found nothing better than it.
Any comments are very welcome.

Best regards,

Vladislav Bezrukov
SAP AG, Walldorf, Germany