ISSUE-12, etc conformance section

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:03:04 +0100
To: <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>

I've made an attempt at editing text for our understanding of conformance [1],

As it stands it allows for DOM to claim validity, which I think is the concensus
we saw last week [2], but I'm not convinced it captures the spirit for
"good user experience", but that may be best left unsaid.

Any suggestions for improvements?

Paul

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/edcopy/basic/basic.html#document-conformance
[2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/6/10/F2F-databinding-minutes.html#item05

"""
1.3 Document Conformance

A Document claiming conformance to this specification:

    * MUST use either the UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding.
    * MAY include the Unicode Byte Order Mark [BOM].
    * MUST be a Well-formed [XML 1.0] document
    * MUST conform to the [XML Schema] Recommendation
    * MUST only contain [XML 1.0] elements and attributes which form a part of one or more complete patterns contained in this specification.
    * MAY contain additional [XML 1.0] comments and processing instructions.

1.4 Implementation Conformance

An implementation that claims conformance to this specification:

    * MUST be able to process any [XML Schema] Document conforming to this specification
    * MUST produce a data model exposing all of the [XML 1.0] element and attribute content described by the originating [XML Schema] Document.
    * MUST be able to consume any Well-formed [XML 1.0] Document which satisfies local-schema validity against the originating [XML Schema] Document exposing all of the [XML 1.0] element and attribute content in the data model.
    * MUST be able to produce Well-formed [XML 1.0] instance documents which satisfy local-schema validity against the originating [XML Schema] Document containing values exposed in the data model.
    * MAY consume Well-formed [XML 1.0] instance documents which do not satisfy local-schema validity against the originating [XML Schema] Document.
    * MAY allow the production of Well-formed [XML 1.0] instance documents containing values exposed in the data model which do not satisfy local-schema validity against the originating [XML Schema] Document.

"""