ISSUE-10: suggested way forward

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:57:27 -0000
To: <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>

I'd like to close ISSUE-10 today so we can make progress.

My strong suspicion is that the pattern proposed earlier*
based upon names in Python etc is going to provide the
most interoperability with current databinding implementations,
our criteria for a pattern to be "Basic".

However, I recognise that we should go the extra mile to
avoid disallowing i18n characters, especially since we are
working within the W3C!

I therefore propose we have at least two patterns, one to recognise
simple names* for name="" and anothers to recognise more
"interesting" names (unusual in terms of mainstream programming languages),

I think we can use an XPath 2.0 match regex function to do this,
and we have examples, here, which I'll add to our suite:
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/edcopy/testsuite/documents/names/names.xsd

the "interesting" names can be more explicitly marked as "at risk" if required.

Paul

* http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xsd-databinding/2006Sep/0007