ACTION-24: Cite list of similar styles of specification

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:53:06 +0100
To: <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>

to try and move our editorial blockage, I said I'd look into
other specifications whose style might be, er, inspiring.

I suggest the following have something to offer:

The W3C Webarch document applies "Principles", "Constraints",
and "Good Practice" notes to existing specifications:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/

The WS-I profiles add "clarifications, refinements,
interpretations and amplifications of [-] specifications which
promote interoperability":

  http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicSecurityProfile-1.0.html
  http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html

and X694 lists schema patterns:

  http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/X694.pdf.

Looking at our current document, I'm now not so keen on explicitly
enumerating our 'issues', especially when the issue often explains
why a pattern isn't in the Basic patterns document.

So I suggest renaming them 'Design Considerations', meaning
we don't list problems, just highlight and offer advice regarding
'areas of concern' when using our patterns.

I'm not sure how we can advise "Good Practice" in Basic patterns
except when targeting implementers of schema processing tools.

Paul