Minutes: XML Schema Patterns for Databinding Telcon 18 July 2006

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:00:26 +0100
To: <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>

minutes from today's telcon are now available:

and below for tracker's searching:

                                   - DRAFT -

                         Databinding WG Teleconference

   See also: [3]IRC log

          George Cowe (Origo Services)
          Paul Downey (Chair, BT)
          Otu Ekanem (BT)
          Yves Lafon (W3C)
          Ajith Ranabahu (WSO2)

          Jon Calladine, (BT)

    1. [4]Topics
    2. [5]Summary of Action Items
    3. [6]Administrivia
    4. [7]ISSUE-15: Null datatype pattern as used by ASN.1 and others
    5. [8]ISSUE-12: identifying a conformant schema
    6. [9]ISSUE-2: WSDL and the Test Suite (Auto-generation of )
    7. [10]ISSUE-4: Collection of Databinding Implementations

   the group is welcoming two new members, only they are not here this
   week - we'll save our introductions until next week.

   <pauld> the Working Group offers congratulations and best wishes to
   Yves in his new role: [11]http://www.w3.org/News/2006#item128

   planning an interop event, December for XML 2006 in Boston looks
   tricky given the AC meeting in Tokyo. Maybe end of November, East
   Coast USA.

   we'll fit in another meeting before then, most probably in Europe if
   someone can offer to host?

   F2F in a couple of weeks, want to be in a position to sausage-machine
   process our examples and patterns there, so work over the next two
   meetings is on our process. Do we have a steel thread yet?

ISSUE-15: Null datatype pattern as used by ASN.1 and others

   this pattern seems to work in tools

ISSUE-12: identifying a conformant schema

   people should take a look at the examples and fill in the blanks -
   please submit examples for issues with no pattern or example.

   <pauld> [13]http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/examples/6/05/

   Yves: do we have a list of issues with examples? (ie process to handle

   psd: issues are generic, so not bound to one kind of example

   the document is a list of patterns

   examples are more editorial (in a way it's just what surface when we
   resolve issues)

   Yves: I was thinking more in terms of issue management issues

   psd: in the edcopy, each pattern is attached to an issue.

   Yves: ok, as the example relates to patterns it's easy to associate
   examples to issues

   gcowe: looks good, but spotted some typeos. happy to move this forward

   psd: granularity of patterns an issue we need to solve, especially if
   two patterns overlap.

ISSUE-2: WSDL and the Test Suite (Auto-generation of )

   Otu: we built a proof of concept using the Microsoft and Mono wsdl.exe
   tool used against the individual Wsdls, and generated echo services,
   in .Net and Mono C#. worked fine, with many of the patterns, apart
   from the ones which didn't work with the toolkits

   psd: been working with SOAP4r, xfire and Axis 1.3 in a similar vein,
   almost ready to publish a framework. We have a proposed log file
   format which includes code snippits as evidence.

   psd: have a script to compare echoed responses to requests, though
   predictably came unstuck with "float" etc. Thinking of adding XPath
   2.0 expressions

   <Ajith> [16]http://xmlunit.sourceforge.net/

   Ajith: xmlunit helps comparing two xmls

   we need tools to compare the echoed values

   <pauld> ACTION: aranabah to work on the echo test client [recorded in

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-52 - Work on the echo test client [on Ajith
   Ranabahu - due 2006-07-25].

ISSUE-4: Collection of Databinding Implementations

   Our testsuite report is going to become the collection of

   psd: still a little scared of publishing results of testing. We need
   to be 100% sure all our testcases are valid, make sense before we
   publicly demonstrate how bad things are.

   psd: it might be good to have axis2 also for the tests

   psd: can we use a Wiki so others can contribute logs and results of
   running the tests with their tools?

   Yves: having external people giving results might be dangerous as we
   can't verify their claims

   a good plan might be to test only with non-commercial and open source
   impl (maybe with authorization from their authors)

   psd: will work with the W3C team on our approach for publishing test

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: aranabah to work on the echo test client [recorded in

   [End of minutes]

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [19]scribe.perl version 1.127
    ([20]CVS log)
    $Date: 2006/07/18 16:52:39 $

   1. http://www.w3.org/
   2. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xsd-databinding/2006Jul/0007.html