RE: mapping of XML names into programming language

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 06:41:36 -0000
To: <fsasaki@w3.org>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Cc: <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>

Hi Felix,

> I am not yet sure if I understand your problem.
> Do you want to be able to map something like
> <nihon>... (written with Japanese characters ??) into
> <nihon> ... (written with latin characters only)?

> This is the mapping from Kanji to Romaji you are mentioning below.
> Unfortunately this works only with a lexicon and on a per language basis.

OK, understood.

> It is also not reversible, e.g. "nihon" can be mapped to ?? or ???or
> others.

understood. (curse my web mail, btw)

> This kind of mapping is something I guess you don't want for your
> tasks.

> Currently, the names in XML Schema are defined at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#NT-NCName as
> NCName 	 ::= 	(Letter | '_') (NCNameChar)*

> I guess what you need is a mapping of "Letter" and "NCNameChar" to a
> subset of these character ranges, which fits programming language
> requirements. Is that right?

Exactly! Please note we're not expecting to find anything
definitive here, but would welcome hearing about existing
works in this area we could possibly reference.

> Then the next question would be if you have
> the need in your scenario to go back to the original XML name. If the
> answer is "yes", you will have the same ambiguity as with the mapping from
> "nihon" to "??" (or "??").

That might not be required, since a databinding could hold a map
for 'decoding' and resolve clashes by adding a prefix or a suffix,
nihon1, nihon2, etc.

> If you could give more details on your requirements, me and the i18n core
> working group will take a closer look at possible solutions.

thanks!

Paul