Re: ISSUE-5: Open Enumerated Type

Just for completeness...

In the days when we used ASN.1, for some reason we never used enumerated
types even though the language supported it.  Instead we used a choice of
NULL options.  I don't know why this was as I joined the effort after this
precedent had been set.  But it does raise the possibility of using a
similar approach for XSD.  Something like:

<element name='options'>
    <choice>
        <element name='option1' type='t:empty'/>
        <element name='option2' type='t:empty'>
        <!-- Favorite extensibility mechanism -->
        <any namespace='##other'>
    </choice>
</element>

To be represented something like:

    <options><option2/><options>

Actually, more than once this approach gave us a get out when we needed to
add more data to the option than just the name!

If this is deemed not too wacky, it could be presented as one possible
alternative to the extensible enumeration.

Regards,

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd