RE: ISSUE-10: Mapping Element and Type names

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:42:35 -0000
To: <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>, <public-xsd-databinding@w3.org>

Pete,

> So the questions for C/C++ and other languages with similar limitations
> become:  is this an issue?  Should it be left to vendors to sort out?
> Should a mapping procedure be specified that ends up with only valid C/C++
> characters?

there is a short paragraph on this subject in our input document:

"""
The name of a schema type, attribute or element may be any valid XML
non-colonized name including names which may be reserved or not directly
representable in some programming languages, such as "object", "static",
"final", "class", "Customer-Profile", etc.
"""

http://www.w3.org/2005/07/xml-schema-patterns.html#Naming

Which is basically advising tools that they have to support all
of the possible XML names for elements and types.

> Should developers be advised that for maximum portability the
> character set used for XML names should be limited to the C/C++ set?

I'm not keen on advising Schema authors to restrict how they name
elements and attributes, especially as there isn't an obvious subset
- C++ names often don't work well in SQL or COBOL and vice-versa.

Paul