Inspect/implementation defined order fn-trace-*

From: Frans Englich <englich@kde.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:12:20 +0000
To: public-xqts-comments@w3.org

Many of the fn:trace tests are of 'Inspect' type, and I don't get why. Here's
an example fn-trace21:

(: Name: fn-trace-3 :)
operation. :)

for $var in (1,2,3,4,5)
return fn:trace($var + 1,"The Value of $var + 1 is: ")

2 3 4 5 6

This suggests that what fn:trace returns, is in implementation dependent
order.  That is: fn:trace((1, 2), "msg") can return either (1, 2) or (2, 1).
I have a hard time backing this up from the spec. It says:

The destination of the trace output is ·implementation-defined·. The format of
the trace output is ·implementation dependent·. The ordering of output from
invocations of the fn:trace() function is ·implementation dependent·.

So, if the return value is supposed to be in implementation defined order,
that must be spec'd by "The ordering of output from invocations of the
fn:trace() function is ·implementation dependent".

Then look at the example:

Writing fn:trace($v, 'the value of $v is:') will put the strings "124.84" and
"the value of $v is:" in the trace data set in implementation dependent

Here it says the trace data will be in implementation dependent order, but the
first paragraph only says the format and the destination is implementation

So, as I see it, there's two interpretations on what "implementation dependent
order" applies to: the example says it's the trace data, the XQTS WG's
interpretation says it's the return value.

I think F&O's choice of "output" is vague and that it could use editorial
clarification. Any thoughts on this? I'll submt a report on F&O unless
something unexpected pops up.