RE: Potential issues in XML Schema files pointed out from XML Sig v1.1?

I see. Apparently there may be cause for errata. I am not sure if we can assemble a quorum at this point, but you did get 3 responders on this “dead” list.

Hal

From: Juan Carlos Cruellas [mailto:cruellas@ac.upc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:16 AM
To: public-xmlsec@w3.org
Subject: Re: Potential issues in XML Schema files pointed out from XML Sig v1.1?

Dear all,

Sorry for not reacting before....unexpected problems...

As for problem #1, I am not aware of the source of the problem, but at present there are two URLs that contradict each other:

In clause 10 of W3C Recommendation one finds the following URL pointing to the XML Schema for types and elements in  HYPERLINK "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig""http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"   namespace:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xmldsig-core-20080610/xmldsig-core-schema.xsd

While in the XML Schema file at http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core1/xmldsig1-schema.xsd, which is pointed out by the W3C Recommendation one reads:
<include schemaLocation=HYPERLINK "http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xmldsig-core-20080610/xmldsig-core.xsd""http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xmldsig-core-20080610/xmldsig-core.xsd"/>

Not sure if this is to be considered an administrative configuration issue, being pieces of text that appears in XML Schema files pointed from an official W3C Recommendation, but the relevant thing here, in my opinion, is to fix this contradiction as soon as the W3C rules allow.

As for the problem#2, even seeing your point, I also know that other XML security related specifications well known and widespread make use of the schemaLocation attribute within import elements...below follow some examples:

1. XKMS 2.0, at http://www.w3.org/TR/xkms2/Schemas/xkms.xsd, includes the following imports to xml sig and xml encryption:

<import namespace=HYPERLINK "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig""http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#" schemaLocation="xmldsig-core-schema.xsd"/>
<import namespace=HYPERLINK "http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc""http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#" schemaLocation="xenc-schema.xsd"/>

2. OASIS SAML 2.0 xml schema at http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/saml-schema-assertion-2.0.xsd, imports once again xml sig and xml encryption:

<import namespace=HYPERLINK "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig""http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#" schemaLocation="xmldsig-core-schema.xsd"/>
<import namespace=HYPERLINK "http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc""http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#" schemaLocation="xenc-schema.xsd"/>

I am pretty sure that there will be other specs out there using this attribute, as I am also pretty sure that there will be other not using it....this leads me to think that there is not such an unanimity among experts about the strict need to avoid the schemaLocation attribute in XML Schema files. Once said that, I would support Hal's view on the possibility of W3C having a written requirement on the topic...but also I am curious about the fact that there seem to be opinions on the topic that clearly lead to opposed conclusions (although this is not uncommon in technology, is it? :-)

Regards

Juan Carlos.