Re: [widgets] How to divorce widgets-digsig from Elliptic Curve PAG?

On 1/3/12 4:22 AM, ext Rigo Wenning wrote:
> My aim as PAG chair is to conclude by March. The solution is still open. We
> don't know yet whether the algorithms used by XML SIG or ENC really violate
> the declared patents. We will hopefully know until then.
>
> I'm still waiting for one response from MIT but will proceed without them if
> they do not respond by the end of the week.

Please use public-webapps to provide status/update info re the ECC PAG.

> Again, those are hopes, not hard deadlines. I don't think a PAG can have hard
> deadlines unless the algorithm is "deprecate the feature if not solved until
> fixed date". I guess Frederick was arguing against that logic leading to
> deprecation of ECC.

In case it isn't clear, I don't think anyone suggested the ECC stuff
should be "deprecated". On the contrary, I think it makes sense for ECC
to be an algorithm for XMLDigSig1.1. However, some of us have advocated
the syntax be separated from the algorithms. That would permit the
Syntax spec move to REC separately and the algorithm spec(s) could
advance separately (as the market determines the "winner(s)").

(This would be similar to the W3C's HTML5 spec which does not, for
example, mandate any video codecs, presumably because of IP issues.)

-AB