Re: Call for Consensus: progress XML Encryption 1.1 to PR, deferring other normative changes and accepting section 6.1.3 (respond by 11 December)

+1

Bruce A Rich
brich at-sign us dot ibm dot com

From:   <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>
To:     <public-xmlsec@w3.org>
Cc:     <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>
Date:   12/04/2012 10:17 AM
Subject:        Call for Consensus: progress XML Encryption 1.1 to PR,
deferring  other normative changes and accepting section 6.1.3 (respond by
11 December)

This is a call for consensus (CfC) for the XML Security WG to agree to
progress the 3 December 2012 editors draft of "XML Encryption Syntax and
Processing Version 1.1" to Proposed Recommendation (PR).

http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/xmlenc-core-11/Overview.html

This agreement includes the following:

1. No new normative features will be added to XML Encryption 1.1,
including the definition of additional key derivation functions or usage.
If the working group is interested such features could be defined in a
separate specification or a subsequent 1.2 update.

2. The newly added security considerations section is acceptable to the WG
as written, see section 6.1.3 Backwards Compatibility Attacks in the
editors draft

3. The document is stable, all comments have been addressed and interop
has been completed [1].

Given agreement on these points I believe we are ready to progress to
Proposed Recommendation.

Agreeing to this decision means I will request a transition to PR after 17
December with a planned PR publication on 10 January 2013, assuming that
date works for the W3C Team. As part of publication process I will update
the references (including cross-references to other documents being
published at the same time), as well as prepare a publication draft that
has the PR cover page with the publication date.

In addition we agree that I will request publication of an update of the
related W3C Note "Functional Explanation of Changes in XML Encryption 1.1"
to add information about the added 6.1.3 security considerations section.

http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/xmlenc-core1-explain/Overview.html

Please respond to this email by next Tuesday 11 December indicating
support (a +1 will do) or any concern. Silence will constitute consent,
but a positive response is preferred.

Thanks

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair XML Security WG

[1]  http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-xmlenc-core1-interop-20121113/

(note the reason for delaying PR submission until after 17 December is
that there is an Exclusion period that is associated with the previous XML
Encryption 1.1 Last Call which must complete before making the PR request)