Re: ACTION-829: Provide additional proposal text regarding xml encryption changes for pkcs1.5

On 10/4/11 2:40 PM, "Pratik Datta" <pratik.datta@oracle.com> wrote:

>We can't remove the OAEPparams element because we use it. It corresponds
>to the "EncodingParameters" element as defined in PKCS 2.1 , also called
>"label L"  (see page 42 of
>ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/pkcs/pkcs-1/pkcs-1v2-1.pdf ) .  The value
>of Label L can be specified, or it can be an empty string. <OAEPparams>
>is the mechanism to specify this value.

I think it would be helpful to add some material to the spec that explains
what that element corresponds to.

With respect to adding an attribute or element to parameterize the MGF, I
suspect for compatibility reasons, you couldn't do that without changing
the algorithm identifier for RSA-OAEP. It would just be a new version of
the algorithm.

-- Scott