From: ext Matthew Campagna <mcampagna@certicom.com<mailto:mcampagna@certicom.com>>
Date: January 13, 2011 2:20:12 PM EST
To: "public-xmlsec-comments@w3.org<mailto:public-xmlsec-comments@w3.org>" <public-xmlsec-comments@w3.org<mailto:public-xmlsec-comments@w3.org>>
Subject: Consideration in lieu of starting a PAG

Working Group Members,
   Over the past year Certicom has endeavored to find a middle-ground on an IPR statement, requested from us, on XML Signature Syntax and Processing Version 1.1 and XML Encryption Syntax and Processing Version 1.1, and the W3C Membership Policy.   As members of W3C, but not of the XML Security Working Group and therefore not formally bound by its membership policy, we support the philosophy by which standards within the W3C are produced.  We recommend that prior to starting a PAG in regards to our technology in these specifications the working group consider making the elliptic curve techniques optional and accept the current Royalty-Free IPR statement to cover the use of those optional techniques. I have attached the previously submitted IPR statement for your consideration.

Sincerely,
     Matthew Campagna

Matthew Campagna I Technical Director, Certicom Research
Certicom Corp. I A Subsidiary of Research In Motion Limited

mcampagna@certicom.com<mailto:mcampagna@certicom.com>
direct          203.894.9777
office           877.746.5831x14181#
http://www.certicom.com<http://www.certicom.com/>