Request for review: EXI integration with XML Encryption

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:15:04 +0100
Cc: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, public-exi@w3.org, "public-xmlsec@w3.org Public List" <public-xmlsec@w3.org>
To: tkamiya@us.fujitsu.com, msc@mitre.org, Carine Bournez <carine@w3.org>
Hello,

on behalf of the XML Security WG, I'd like to request initial review of sections 4.1 through 4.4 of the XML Encryption 1.1 editor's draft; we are looking toward publishing this material as a Working Draft during the next two weeks and would like a sanity check on the basic approach.

To recap, that approach is:

- we define a Type parameter that indicates that the cleartext is, by itself, an EXI stream.
- we say that user agents may do interesting stuff if that is the case (including patching together things directly on the EXI level), but don't specify any of this normatively.

Note that the spec defines distinct Type parameter values for cleartext that follows the element or content productions from XML.  The reasons for that distinction are lost in history, as we haven't been able to find an actual difference in processing between the two; implementations seem to treat them as identical.

http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/xmlenc-core-11/Overview.src.html#sec-Processing

(for tracker's benefit, this is ACTION-521)

Thanks,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>