Proposed update to XML Signature Properties

From: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:17:27 -0500
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
To: XMLSec WG Public List <public-xmlsec@w3.org>, Juan Carlos Cruellas <cruellas@ac.upc.edu>
On our last call we discussed concerns Juan Carlos raised regarding
the Last Call XML Signature Properties specification [1].

The core concern is potential confusion of this work with other
specifications of signature properties for electronic commerce. I
took an action to propose text for the Last Call document to address
concerns.  This message provides a proposal to complete that action,
ACTION-517.

Proposed Changes to XML Signature Properties

(1) add sentence to Abstract at end

These properties are intended to meet code signing requirements.

(2) Add new paragraph at the end of the Introduction

The properties defined in this specification are intended for simple
applications such as code signing.  This specification is not aimed
at the use case of legally binding digital signatures.   For XML
formats for advanced electronic signatures that remain valid over
long periods, please refer to the [XADES] specification.

(3) Add informative reference to informative references section A.2

[XADES]  XML Advanced Electronic Signatures (XAdES).  ETSI TS 101 903
V1.4.1 (2009-06)

Juan Carlos, would these changes address your concerns?

regards, Frederick (sent not as chair)

[1] http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-properties/
Overview.html