RE: ISSUE-186: What is the normative content of section 5.4.2? (PBKDF2) [Enc11 (XML Encryption 1.1)]

Hello Thomas,

>From an RSA perspective, it could take a long time to get a new document
describing the schema additions to PKCS#5v2.0 edited and through the RFC
process. We'll need to obtain some further internal review here before
proceeding and the process might impose an extended delay on XML Encryption
1.1 which is something we'd like to avoid. It'd be good to get a sense of
how much the group prefers the alternatives.

The current text of section 5.4.2 clearly distinguishes the functional part
of the algorithm (which is already an RFC) from the schema addendum. If we
can not refer to the PKCS document, we could, as you suggested, redefine the
required schema elements in the XML-Encryption spec itself. We already do
something similar for OAEP [1]. The algorithm identifier can also be defined
like the one we use for OAEP, say with a '#pbkdf2' suffix.

What do you think?

thanks,
--
ajd.