RE: Minimal Canonicalization

Sorry about that- I wasn't clear.  I wanted to know if your proposal for canonicalization transform simplification would fit into this category.

Regards, Cynthia

-----Original Message-----
From: Pratik Datta [mailto:pratik.datta@oracle.com]
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 12:31 PM
To: XMLSec WG Public List
Cc: Martin, Cynthia E.
Subject: Fwd: Minimal Canonicalization

Forwarding Cynthia's email to the group.

Cynthia, I don't think I understood your email. What do you mean by
"your idea of limiting these" ? Which idea are you talking about?

As discussed in the F2F, I will be writing up a draft spec of C14n v2.0,
and XML signature v2.0. The C14N algorithm will be "parameterized" -
e.g. it will have parameters for trimWhitespace, sortAttributes,
rewritePrefixes etc. Passing in false for all these parameters will
result in a minimal canonicalization, whereas passing in true will
result in a very robust canonicalization that can survive shredding and
reconstruction.  I am also thinking of assigning names to sets of
parameter values, i.e.we could define the name
"minimialCanononicalization" to be   trimWhitespace=false,
sortAttribute=false, ....

Pratik