RE: ACTION 176: Text for 1.1 on use of Transforms with RetrievalMethod

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:07:11 -0500
To: "'Sean Mullan'" <Sean.Mullan@Sun.COM>
Cc: "'Frederick Hirsch'" <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>, "'XMLSec WG Public List'" <public-xmlsec@w3.org>

Sean Mullan wrote on 2009-01-28:
>  Might this warning text be better for the Best Practices document for
> now? We could add it to Best Practice 5: Try to avoid or limit
> RetrievalMethod support with KeyInfo

There was already text there, so I assumed the intent of the action item was
that having something in the actual spec was wanted.

I don't know whether any real commitment to deprecate this feature exists,
but I certainly got the impression that if there's a breaking 2.0 with a new
schema, this is clearly going to get fixed. But it seems like even if that's
true, that doesn't have much of an impact on people who have to use the old
schema today.

So I think my suggestion is that we either say very little, maybe just that
use of the feature may not be well supported, or get specific in the 1.1
spec and enumerate a set of transforms that one can support explicitly in
order to safely allow this to be done going forward. As I said, I don't know
XPath enough to provide those transforms at the moment.