RE: xmldsig-core 1.1: New algorithm IDs for ECDSA?

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:59:48 -0500
To: "'Thomas Roessler'" <tlr@w3.org>, "'XMLSec WG Public List'" <public-xmlsec@w3.org>

Thomas Roessler wrote on 2009-01-19:

> Working on the algorithms draft, I notice that XML Signature 1.1 seems
> to recycle the "old" (RFC 4050) algorithm identifiers for ECDSA, but
> with new elements for key material.  I could see an argument in favor
> of changing the algorithm URIs if we expect a different format for key
> material.  Thoughts?

At first glance, it sounds good, but I recall us discussing late at the FtF
that the algorithm URIs don't specifically document a key format, but a
particular crypto operation using that format, so I'd be inclined to say no,
at least not for that reason. Obviously if the actual operation(s) are
different, then it's a no-brainer.