new issue: Key wrapping algorithms

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:26:10 +0100
To: XMLSec WG Public List <public-xmlsec@w3.org>

Via the IETF comes interest in defining a URI for a version of the
AES-128-KW algorithm with newly defined padding.  We're currently
trying to figure out what precisely they need.

In reviewing the key wrapping part of XML Encryption [1], I'm left
wondering why we are "adopting" things from IETF specs instead of
referencing these specifications normatively.  It seems to me like
we're introducing an awful amount of (almost) duplication that might
turn out to be error-prone in implementations.

Does anybody on the group know why that was done, and whether anything
speaks against just removing the detailed algorithm descriptions and
replacing them by normative references?

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlenc-core/#sec-Alg-SymmetricKeyWrap
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>