Re ACTION-191: ECPoint to octet string

From: Magnus Nyström <magnus@rsa.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:22:42 +0100 (W. Europe Standard Time)
To: public-xmlsec@w3.org

This is to follow-up on ACTION-191 on the EC point to octet string
conversion. I note that the new draft does not any longer reference ANSI
X9.62, instead, it references SEC-1 for the conversion of _field elements_
to octet strings. This makes for an inconsistency between ANSI X9.62,
SEC-1 and RFC 3279 on the one hand and this spec on the other hand in how
EC points are represented. In the former ones, an EC Point is represented
as an octet string. In the current XMLDsig draft it is represented as two
octet strings, each representing one of the two the field elements
constituting the point. Now I understand that it was not the idea to do a
direct translation of the ASN.1 of X9.62 (or SEC-1 or RFC 3279), but I
guess there is also something to be said about the simplifications that
can be made by having a similar treatment of the underlying data.

-- Magnus