Re: Fwd: Heads-up on proposed breaking change to XML Signature

Hi Pratik,

I am really glad to hear of your support of the basic subtraction issue.

I also quite agree that a vastly simplified transform system is
preferable, as I typically have to provide this view of the world with the
design tools.

On the surface, one might ask why XPath Filter 2 allowed multiple
operations when it seems it would have been better to do a simple one-step
transform and then count on the fact that the Reference processing model
lets you run multiple transforms.  The answer there was performance.  All
the set operations within a single XPath Filter 2 transform are done using
a lightweight node marking strategy.  Outputing the result of a transform
for processing by a subsequent transform is a more costly operation.

All of the transforms that I see fall into three categories:

1) The most prevailing case is simple subtract of a nodeset.  The subtract
picks off a set of subtree roots and drops those from the thing that gets
canonicalized and digested.  One of the nodes in the list is always the
signature being generated.

2) The same as above, except the signature being generated has to "add
back in" a ds:Object within the signature and/or the ds:KeyInfo.  This is
common in the use of XAdES for example.  The ds:Object (or some part of
it) contains metadata considered to be part of the signature (like a
(unauthenticated) client-side timestamp).

3) Simple selection of something to sign, which only happens for
efficiency in a secondary signature, i.e. a countersigning signature that
really is aimed at signing the same thing as a prior signer plus the prior
signer's signature itself.

Anyway, the net of this is that the fully generalized solutions in XML
Signature 1.0 don't seem to come up much in practice, but #2 above is an
important use case which would not be straightforwardly satisfied via your
suggestion to have exclusions override inclusions.  However, something
*like* your idea would be to simplify the transforms down to what will
meet the above cases, i.e. have a transform that could select, one that
could subtract, and one that could subtract-then-reselect, and that's it.

The last one, subtract-then-reselect, is like your idea, except it is
saying that the explicit inclusion of reselect overrides the exclusion of
the subtract, which in turn is overriding the default input to the
transform, which one might imagine is the whole document.

Hope this makes it to your list...  If not, please forward it for me.

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: