Re: Request for XML Processing Model use cases and requirements related to XML Security

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:04:40 -0400
To: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Cc: public-exi@w3.org, XMLSec WG XMLSec W3C <public-xmlsec@w3.org>
/ Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com> was heard to say:
| We are very interested in use cases and requirements from the XML
| Processing Model working group related to XML Security. Have you
| considered interactions with XML Signature and XML Encryption and
| have any resulting requirements (or use cases) that the XML Security
| WG should take into consideration?

You'll find one or two in our requirements document:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xproc-requirements/

| Would it make sense to consider XML Signature/Verification and
| Encryption/Decryption as steps in a pipeline? If so, would that
| impose requirements on XML Signature and XML Encryption, especially
| with regards to serialization or other assumptions?

I think it would make sense. I've never been able to find anyone to
explain what the inputs/outputs/options to such steps would be. Nor
have I ever found an XML signature toolkit that I could grok.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | 'I have done that,' says my memory. 'I