Fw: xpointer testcases

From: Bruce Rich <brich@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:55:58 -0500
To: "xmldsigtechnical" <public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org>
There seems to be a problem with the input.xml for the xpointer testcases.
 Well, at least for tests 2, 4, 5 and 6.
The problem is that the id attributes are not specified as being in the
xml namespace.
Because they are simple attributes, as in <ietf:e1 id="e1ID">, there's no
way that the id attribute can be known to be an ID TYPE.
And according to http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/#shorthand

"However, if ID typing information is not available because no DTD,
schema, or application-specific information is available, the pointer will
not identify any element."

Thus it seems appropriate to fail to locate xpointer(id('e1ID')), for
example.

The other tests that involve id do in fact call it out as xml:id, but the
xpointer tests either overlook that point or expect the application to
communicate some "application-specific information".

I can fudge my implementation to also look for id=, but it feels wrong.
One could imagine a valid document that had an elements with id="bob" and
xml:id="bob" like this

<ietf:e1 id="bob">
        <ietf:e2 xml:id="bob" />
</ietf:e1>

so dereferencing "bob" and getting element e1 seems wrong.

Comments?  Presuming consensus (ok, I'm being optimistic here), would it
be possible to rev the input.xml for these tests before the interop?

Bruce A Rich
brich at-sign us dot ibm dot com