RE: Initial thoughts on chartering

So I think there are cases where C14N is not needed at all (as you point
out) and there are cases where we can limit this to the sender and
eliminate from the receiver. So I would like to see these topics on the
charter discussions.

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>                                                                                             |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Anthony Nadalin/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, "Thomas Roessler" <tlr@w3.org>                                                                          |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |<public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org>, <public-xmlsec-maintwg-request@w3.org>                                                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |10/29/2007 10:34 AM                                                                                                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |RE: Initial thoughts on chartering                                                                                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

How little canonicalization do you want to do?

If we have a signature that is a referenced document that just happens to
be XML encoded there is absolutely no need for c14n.

If we have a signature that is wrapped around the signed object the process
is slightly trickier, if the signature is inside the signed object its
harder still.

I certainly agree that there are many cases where c14n is unnecessary. I
suspect however that to make it work well in the last two cases we will
have to specify the enveloping mechanism more tightly than we do with XSL
transformations. and the like.