W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org > June 2007

Agenda: distributed meeting 2007-06-12 (v2)

From: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:02:43 -0400
Message-Id: <5372125E-337E-4D4B-B93B-EC54CBD60066@nokia.com>
Cc: Hirsch Frederick <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
To: XMLSec <public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org>

Agenda: W3C XML Security Specifications Maintenance WG (XMLSec) (v2)
Teleconference 12 June 2007
Distributed Meeting #6

Updated DName (E01) issue material, added Donald as scribe, revised  
ordering etc.

6 June, 9-10am Eastern Time
(6-7am Pacific, 1400-1500 Dublin, 1500-1600 CET, 1600-1700 Crete)

See <http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Group/Overview.html> for time in  
other time zones.

Zakim Bridge:
       +1.617.761.6200 conference code 965732# ('XMLSEC')
IRC Chat:
     irc.w3.org (port 6665), #xmlsec
Web-based IRC (member-only):
     <http://cgi.w3.org/member-bin/irc/irc.cgi>

Please note that attendance of XMLSEC WG telecons is restricted to  
registered WG participants and persons invited by the chair.

Chair:
    Frederick Hirsch

Regrets:
    none

1) Administrivia: scribe confirmation, next meeting

1a)   Donald Eastlake is scheduled to scribe.  The current scribe  
list is at the end of this message.

    Scribe Instructions:
    http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Group/Scribe-Instructions.html

1b)   Meeting planning

Next meeting: Tuesday 19 June. Scribe: ??

2008 plenary: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-xmlsec- 
maintwg/2007Jun/0014.html (members)

1c)   Review request: Widget Signing
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0017.html

2) Review and approval of last meeting's minutes
    http://www.w3.org/2007/06/05-xmlsec-minutes

3) Action item review

    Open actions are listed in Tracker at http://www.w3.org/2007/ 
xmlsec/Group/track/actions/open

Procedure for closing actions: http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Group/ 
Overview.html#closing-actions

Action 26 : draft CG note draft for submission to XML CG, Thomas  
Roessler

Action 35: Review Konrad's message re xml:base by next call, Rich Salz
Agenda item 9a.

Action 36 Review Konrad's message re xml:base by next call, Juan  
Carlos Cruellas
Agenda item 9a.

Action 37 Review Konrad's message re xml:base by next call, Sean Mullan
Agenda item 9a.

Action 38 Review Konrad's message re xml:base by next call, Ed Simon
Agenda item 9a.

Action 41, Check his implementation wrt DNAME erratum, Sean Mullan
Agenda item 8a.

Action 42, Produce example for breakage due to current E01 language,  
Juan Carlos Cruellas
Agenda item 6b-ii.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0001.html

Action 43, to produce example for breakage due to current E01  
language, Konrad Lanz
Agenda item 6b-i and6b-iii.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007May/ 
0041.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0004.html

ACTION-44  Update CFP draft as suggested in http://lists.w3.org/ 
Archives/Member/member-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/0000.html ,Thomas Roessler
Done
Agenda 4a

ACTION-45 Give information on hosting to PHB, Thomas Roessler
Done

ACTION-46 Confirm hosting by end of the week, Phillip Hallam-Baker

ACTION-47 Thomas and Frederick to update Decryption Transform editors  
draft for Last Call, for next meeting,  Thomas Roessler
Done
Agenda 5

ACTION-48 Make proposal to resolve issue on http://lists.w3.org/ 
Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/0010.html, Juan Carlos  
Cruellas

ACTION-49, Illustrate proposed changes by example, Konrad Lanz

4) Workshop/CFP

4a) Comments on updated CFP?

Updated CFP, to include comments from last meeting and on mail list:
    http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/ws/cfp.html

4b) Confirm workshop logistics: 25 & 26 September, 9-5, Verisign,  
Mountainview.

Action to create logistics web page.

4c) Other workshop issues.

Plan for W3C review this week (Wednesday) before publication.

5) Decryption Transform to Last Call

Current (updated) draft:
    http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Drafts/xmlenc-decrypt.html

Updated XML and Binary decryption transform URIs
New status paragraph, call Version 1.1
Update document subset references to section 2.4 C14N11
Updated C14N11 reference to latest draft (intended for CR)

No review comments noted on mailing list.

Please review so we can approve to move to make public draft and move  
to Last Call on next teleconference.

Updated namespace URIs (member only):
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-xmlsec-maintwg/2007May/ 
0036.html


6) XML Signature Revision -  Errata 01 (Distinguished Name) issue
http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xmldsig-errata#E01

6a) Correct editors draft for list of items in bullet list 6.4.4

Original: http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#sec-X509Data
Editors draft: http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-core/#sec- 
X509Data

Question: "compliant with RFC2253" or "compliant with the DNAME  
encoding rules at the end of this section"

Current editors draft incorrect for this bullet list.

Current proposal (in line with E01):
(Konrad: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007Jun/0004.html )

* The X509IssuerSerial element, which contains an X.509 issuer  
distinguished name/serial number pair.
The distinguished name SHOULD be compliant with the DNAME encoding  
rules at the end of this section and the serial number is represented  
as a decimal integer,
* The X509SubjectName element, which contains an X.509 subject  
distinguished name that SHOULD be compliant with the DNAME encoding  
rules at the end of this section,

6b) Issues with DNAME rules at end of section

E01 suggests changing

"Also, strings in DNames (X509IssuerSerial,X509SubjectName, and  
KeyName if approriate) should be encoded as follows:"

with

"DNames (X509IssuerSerial, X509SubjectName, and KeyName if  
appropriate) should be encoded in accordance with RFC2253 [LDAP-DN]  
except for the encoding of string values within a DName:"

This is the current version in editors red-line draft.

Issues

i) Is this optional?

Test cases suggest yes. Wording of errata (with should) suggests yes.

Konrad: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007Jun/0004.html
References: http://www.w3.org/Signature/2001/04/05-xmldsig- 
interop.html#DNAME

Sean: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007Jun/0005.html
"It would be nice to be able to support the default RFC 2253  
algorithm without *requiring* any additional processing."

if so, change "should be" to "SHOULD be"?

ii) Add warning

warning similar to that of section 7.2 of RFC 2253: http:// 
www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2253.txt
Sean: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007Jun/0015.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0024.html

iii) How to handle XML escaping

Angle brackets, ampersand, can cause XML to be ill-formed.

Konrad: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007May/0041.htmls

Thomas: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007May/0048.html

iv) encoding leading space, forgotten? Or remove requirement to  
escape trailing space?

Konrad: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/ 
2007Jun/0004.html

* Escape any trailing white space by replacing "\ " with "\20".

v) Reference successor to  RFC 2253, RFC 4515

Is sense of WG is not to do this, since implementations based on RFC  
2253?

6c) review of implementations re DName processing?

7)  XML Signature Algorithm identifiers

Incorporate algorithm identifiers defined in note (section 3) into  
XML Signature revision, as follows:

Identifiers
Canonical XML 1.1 (omits comments)
http://www.w3.org/2006/12/xml-c14n11
Canonical XML 1.1 with comments
http://www.w3.org/2006/12/xml-c14n11#WithComments

7a) Changes to DSig-Usage note

See http://www.w3.org/TR/DSig-usage/

Update to reference CR version of C14N11 in note
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xml-c14n11-20061220/

Algorithm  identifiers update?

8) XML Signature: ds:Reference type as URI versus ds:Object Mime Type
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/ 
0000.html , Juan-Carlos

9) C14N11 Review

Draft : http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2007/05/CR-xml-c14n11-20070509.htm

CR transition request: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml- 
core-wg/2007May/0040

9a) merge path, C14N11 Appendix issue

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007May/ 
0044.html , Konrad Lanz

Action 35: Review Konrad's message re xml:base by next call, Rich Salz

Action 36 Review Konrad's message re xml:base by next call, Juan  
Carlos Cruellas

Action 37 Review Konrad's message re xml:base by next call, Sean Mullan

Action 38 Review Konrad's message re xml:base by next call, Ed Simon

Next steps?

10) Interop

10a) participation expectations

Some material in this agenda item might be member confidential.

    Review interop testing expectations:
    http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40279/interop-interest/results

10b) Test cases

    i) Regression tests - original XML Signature and Decryption
    Transform cases Action to review and summarize?

    ii) test defined in new C14N11 example (as updated)
    <http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2007/05/CR-xml-c14n11-20070509>

    iii) E01 - see ACTION-19 Agreed at F2F that no tests needed for
    E02-E05

    iv) Action to review and summarize test for E06, test for base64
    URI?  Test exists but not well-defined?

    v) Action to summarize dditional tests?

    greg: test case for 1.0 as default see if 1.1 by mistake
    <hal> test case which checks for correct sig when xml:base is
    present
    <hal> test case which checks for correct sig when xml:id is present
    <fjh> thomas: generate sig over doc subset, must include c14n11
    as  final transform
    <fjh> greg: new generators not rely on default c14n
    <klanz2> Test case for conversion NodeSetData to OctetStreamData:
    <klanz2> Use case: Generate a signature having a reference with
    some xpath transform selecting NodeSetData
    <klanz2> then we add a XSLT transform that clearly needs
    OctetStreamData
    <klanz2> Check on verification: if the resulting signature
    actually made the use of c14n 1.1 explicit in the chain of  
transforms

11) Any other business

12) Adjourn

Scribe list
-----------

Elisabetta Carrara
Donald Eastlake
Peter Lipp
Hal Lockhart
Ram Mohan
Anthony Nadalin
Chris Nautiyal
Rich Salz
Daniel Schutzer
Ed Simon
Andrew Sullivan
Panagiotis Trimintzios
Tarun Tyagi
Thomas Roessler (17 Apr 07)
Greg Whitehead (F2F 2 May 07 am)
Rob Miller  (F2F 2 May 07 pm)
Gregory Berezowsky (F2F 3 May 07 am)
Sean Mullan (F2F 3 May 07 pm)
Juan Carlos Cruellas (15 May 2007)
Phillip Hallam-Baker (22 May 2007)
Giles Hogben  (29 May 2007)
Konrad Lanz (6 June 2007)

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia
Received on Monday, 11 June 2007 16:03:22 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:22:00 GMT