Normative reference to URI spec

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:51:34 +0200
To: public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org

Section 4.3.3.2, Reference Processing Model
http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-core/#sec-ReferenceProcessingModel

As an aside, there's some language in 4.3.3.2 that references the
URI spec for the definition of a "same-document URI-Reference."

Unfortunately, the meaning of that has changed between the URI spec
that is referenced in xmldsig-core and the currently valid one (RFC
2396 vs. RFC 3986): Same-document references are now (in RFC 3986)
defined in terms of the base URI; the purely syntactic definition
("URI references with an empty URI", i.e., just a fragment
identifier) from RFC 2396 is no longer there.

However, XML Signature relies on that syntactic definition and
actually replays it in the specification text to a large extent. I'd
therefore propose to explicitly say that, for the purposes of
xmldsig-core, we mean a URI Reference with no URI part (thereby
replaying the syntactic definition from 2396); the current editor's
draft includes that change.

We can then go on to bump the normative reference from 2396 to 3986.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>