RFC 4514/2253 compatibility

From: Sean Mullan <Sean.Mullan@Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:14:47 -0400
To: public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org

Here are some potential compatibility issues with respect to RFC 4514
and RFC 2253. These are based on the grammars of section 3 in each RFC.

1. 4514 allows attribute type keywords to be of length 1, whereas 2253
requires them to be at least length 2.

I think this is a bug in the grammar of RFC 2253, and any
implementations that enforce a length of 2 cannot really be usable. For
example, "C=US" is not valid under a strict interpretation.

2. 4514 requires spaces to be escaped whereas 2253 doesn't permit spaces
to be escaped.

Another bug in the RFC 2253 grammar as I mentioned in a prior email [1]

3. 4514 requires null characters to be escaped whereas 2253 doesn't
permit null characters to be escaped.

This seems like an obscure case.

That's all I found. I think we should add a testcase for each of the
above cases. If anyone can think of others, let me know.

--Sean

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/0039.html