Type vs MimeType (Re: ACTION-60)

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:33:39 +0200
To: Juan Carlos Cruellas <cruellas@ac.upc.edu>
Cc: XMLSec <public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org>

On 2007-07-09 15:07:45 +0200, Juan Carlos Cruellas wrote:

> It could initially thought that ds:Reference's Type operates at a
> higher level than the ds:Object's mimeType, the first identifying
> that what is signed is a ds:Object and the second identifying
> that the media type of what is signed si for instance a pdf
> document. If this is true then these attributes could be seen as
> somehow orthogonal.

That sounds like a plausible interpretation to me.

> But this interpretation has one drawback:

> 1. If the signature is dettached and the signed data object is not a child
> of a ds:Object, then how to report its media type?

The intent of the spec seems to be that an Object be used in these
cases; see the discussion toward the end of 2.2.  I don't see any
obvious way, though, to integrate a media type with a reference to
an external resource; that's probably an open point.

(In fact, from an architectural point of view, there's an
interesting tension between resources and their representations in
here as well...)

> If I am not wrong (and please forgive me if I am) the text in a
> MIME media type identifier could also be seen as a relative URI
> reference (a one having a relative-part= path-noscheme without
> query and fragment). If we may set the ds:Reference's Type
> attribute to a MIME media type then we may assert the media type
> of the dettached data object to be signed, but then we should
> make it clear that both attributes overlap in their purposes.

That sounds a bit too much like shoe-horning an additional feature
into existing markup.  I'd suggest we note this in the wiki as an
issue for further work, and not make any changes in the PER.

Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>