Re: FW: Clarification sought re C14N11

Hi Sean,

Sean Mullan wrote:
> Very good example, but I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind
>  fixing it: [...] I agree that it would be much better if xml:lang
> was not inherited in the e3 element,

The rationale behind fixing it in a version post c14n 1.1 is that it
would be the result one would naturally expect.

> but I don't understand how this is related to xml:base fixup.

Well the xml:base in c14n 1.1 fixup will not suffer this idiosyncrasy,
but maybe it should to be consistent with c14n 1.0 .

You are right future versions of c14n could benefit from text like the
following (I slightly modified your proposal).

"A simple inheritable attribute (A) in the xml namespace is ignored if
the nearest ancestor element of A's parent element that is in the
node-set has an attribute in the node-set with the same name and value."

I agree to consider this for a version post c14n 1.1.

> Maybe this text needs to be in section 2.3 in the Attribute Nodes
> section.

> Even with the suggested fix to section 2.4:
>
>>> The processing of an element node E MUST be modified slightly
>>> when an XPath node-set is given as input and the element's parent
>>>  is omitted from the node-set.

> ... I think you can still end up with redundant redeclarations when
> there is more than one element in the node-set with an omitted parent
>  and some common ancestor contains a simple inheritable attribute.
>
> What do you think?

With the current text yes, but this is consistent with c14n 1.0 .

Four future versions it might be sufficient to change the clause
"(whether or not they are in the node set)" to "(if they are not in the
node set)".

Konrad

--
Konrad Lanz, IAIK/SIC - Graz University of Technology
Inffeldgasse 16a, 8010 Graz, Austria

Certificate chain (including the EuroPKI root certificate):
https://europki.iaik.at/ca/europki-at/cert_download.htm