Re: deprecating xpointer

I like the changes including the clarity to the first sentence

  From:       Konrad Lanz <Konrad.Lanz@iaik.tugraz.at>

  To:         Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>

  Cc:         ext Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org

  Date:       08/21/2007 07:59 AM

  Subject:    Re: deprecating xpointer

Dear all,

we can live with the text as proposed by Thomas with a small change.

             The original edition of this specification [XMLDSIG-2002]
             referenced the XPointer Candidate Recommendation
             [XPTR-2001].  That Candidate Recommendation has been
             superseded by the [xptr-fwk], [xptr-xmlns] and
             [xptr-element] Recommendations, and -- at the time of this
             edition -- the [xptr-xpointer] Working Draft.  Therefore,
             the use of the xpointer() scheme beyond the usage discussed
        in this section is discouraged.

s/"support of xpointer()"/"the use of xpointer()"/
s/"minimal usage"/"useage"/

We however would still like to mention that we would appreciate some remark
making verifiers aware of the fact the there are existing signatures in
deployed systems making use of the optional xpointer() scheme.

We think the text could benefit a change to the first sentence.

             The original edition of this specification [XMLDSIG-2002]
             referenced the XPointer Candidate Recommendation
             [XPTR-2001] and some implementations support it optionally.

We think this would also add clarity.

regards
Konrad
A-SIT

--
Konrad Lanz, IAIK/SIC - Graz University of Technology
Inffeldgasse 16a, 8010 Graz, Austria

Certificate chain (including the EuroPKI root certificate):
https://europki.iaik.at/ca/europki-at/cert_download.htm

(See attached file: Konrad.Lanz.vcf)