Revised XPointer xpointer() scheme discouragement

From: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:54:39 -0400
Cc: Hirsch Frederick <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
To: XMLSec <public-xmlsec-maintwg@w3.org>

Based on the discussion from today's call, I think we also have the
following (revised) proposal regarding XPointer xpointer() scheme
discouragement:

In section 4.3.3.2 The Reference Processing Model,
http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-core/#sec-
ReferenceProcessingModel

Replace

"Support of the xpointer() scheme [XPointer-xpointer] beyond the
minimal usage discussed in this section is discouraged."

with

"[XPointer-xpointer] is in Working Draft status as of publication of
this edition of XML Signature.  Therefore, use of the xpointer()
scheme beyond the minimal usage discussed in this section is
discouraged. Similar functionality
can be achieved using a full URI and transforms."

The changes from the proposal in the agenda are
1. change "support" to "use"
2. Add factual, not recommendation, statement: "Similar functionality
can be achieved using a full URI and transforms."

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia