Re: Normative reference to URI spec

The revised text in the editors draft of XML Signature in Section
4.3.3.2 The Reference Processing Model
[1] says

"In this specification, a 'same-document' reference is defined as a
URI-Reference that does not contain a URI. [URI]"

This is very clear in the context of section 4 of RFC 2396 but may
not be so obvious in the context of RFC 3986, yet another related
proposal is to remove reference to RFC 2396 and replace it with a
reference to RFC 3986.

Thus I propose the following revision of this sentence:

"In this specification, a 'same-document' reference is defined as a
URI-Reference that does not contain a URI, in other words a hash sign
('#') followed by a fragment identifier [URI]."

In addition I suggest we change the References section to replace the
reference for URI with

RFC 3986. Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax. T.
Berners-Lee, R. Fielding, L. Masinter. January 2005. http://
www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt

and replace "RFC 2396" with "RFC 3986" in section 4.3.3.1 (2 places).

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia
[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-core/#sec-