RE: document node attributes

> What do you think?
I guess I am very confused.  but this is what I am reading from you.

Suggestions

1) A new media type with metadata which is not part of the document body (outside the root)
--> As Liam mentioned this won't survive XPath/XSLT/XQuery/XProc etc.
--> As you agreed, that makes it not a good idea

2) Using something like automatic namespaces
--> IMHO the cart before the horse.  We first need to get *that* spec adopted and commonly used, then it might be great.

3) Discussion why namespaces are bad
--> IMHO this is how XML works, good or bad.  Namespaces were added specifically to help solve the copy/paste problem
even though they dont solve it perfectly its atleast better, IMHO, then no namespaces.
And also, IMHO, how many people actually hand edit XML in a non XML editor who are also ignorant of how XML works
and would make this kind of mistake frequently ?
So I just dont see the issue here.   I assert that the intersection of people who edit XML in non-XML aware text editors ,
and people who dont understand the possible issues of namespaces, and people who would use this spec, and also
are other namespaces that conflict in the prefix chosen is small.
I dont even write HTML anymore by hand.   For me missing a "/" or ">" or a '"'  is actually common occurrence when I hand
edit XML in a text editor.   Literally 1000x more than other types of mistakes.   If I am copy and pasting chunks of xml around
between documents, those documents are *always* of the same 'kind' ... and I make sure first that the namespace declaration are right at the root.   finding and fixing incorrect prefix problems is microscopic compared to more severe hand-editing mistakes.

4) Discussion of micro xml.
--> Micro xml didn't adopt the xml: namespace it got rid of *all* namespaces.  If we go that route then a Micro XML add-on
might be useful.   But it's not XML.

David Lee
Lead Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation