Re: Hypermedia - Why

On 25/07/2012 15:36, Rushforth, Peter wrote:
> I think the answer may be that there isn't one.  However, in
> application/something+xml, you may have a good definition of
> something (somewhere) and the +xml will convey the meaning of the
> links and their attributes.

but if you only understand the links on a per-language basis there is
not much to be gained (and something to be lost) in using a shared
markup for links and nothing else.

The XHTML2 designers flat refused to use prefixed attributes for linking
in XHTML2.
With good reason they wanted href=... rather than xml:href= or
xlink:href=.

The designers of any other language are likely to do likewise. I suspect
that I could predict with some accuracy that if xml:href were
standardised MathML for example wouldn't use it as it has several
different uses of URI distinguished by attribute name.
MathML uses

href=""
altimg=""
cdgroup=""
src=""
definitionURL=""

These all have a defined meaning in _MathML_ and nothing would be gained
(and those meanings would be lost) if one or more of them were changed
to use xml:href.

I know something about MathML which is why I use it as an example, but I
don't see why editors of other languages would feel any different about
the URI attributes in languages that they maintain.

So I would say that the jury is still out and as yet no example has been
shown where an application could use the proposed attributes.

David